Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Packing for Europe - Keep it Simple (but still cute)

I finally bit the bullet and started sorting out what I want to pack for Europe. We are only doing carry-on luggage, at least until the last leg from Paris back to San Francisco. Can a gal actually spend 17 days traveling through Europe with just a carry-on and not be incredibly out of fashion?

I think so, but then every gal is different.

I started by pulling out the pieces that I though were must brings. One pair of jeans, three pairs of shorts, one skirt and two dresses. What I noticed was that I had a good base of colors to build on: red, black, cream, white and denim.

From there I pulled out some of my tops that I really love, but that are travel friendly. I did this with the expectation that I would be ruling out some of the tops as I started to make different outfit combinations.

Here's the key. Any shirt that only went with one bottom was automatically ruled out and vice versa. I don't want to have 5 separate outfits, I want to have choices with all of them based on the given day. Garanamals-style. You know, lots of combinations with just a few pieces because everything goes together.

I also needed to consider that at some of the sites we will be visiting, modest dress is mandatory. For instance, at the Vatican, you can't have your knees or your shoulders bare. For this purpose I added a light-weight, white cardigan. The weather is another variable. In Rome and Florence, it is likely to be in the mid 80's while in Paris, the highs are likely to be only 65 (which means that the mornings and evenings will be in the 50s). It's complex.


This a photo of what it looked like just before the final cut. Like I said, lots of black, white etc. but you'll notice just a bit of color with the red and purple (the teal shirt didn't make the cut).

I was really surprised how well this came together with only a couple of missing pieces. I'll be bringing a pair of walking sandals and a pair of suede shrug boots for sure. I do need a pair of nice black flats that I can wear with the cream dress shown here. That is what I will be wearing the night of our 22nd wedding anniversary dinner as we cruise up and down the Seine in Paris.

Wow, did I really just say that? Pinch me.

 I may toss in one more pair of shoes. Something that isn't quite a sneaker but is a comfy walking shoe.

The best part about it? I weighed the suitcase with all of my clothes and shoes and it weighed only 13 pounds! Seriously. I know I still need to add toiletries and accessories, but still. I'll take that to the bank. I can easily hoist 20 pounds on my back and trudge through a train station.

At least I think I can. Stay tuned for updates post-"hauling the luggage through the train station." Ah well, it's all part of the journey.

For now, I'm off to the mall to see if I can find the illusive black flat that is both cute dress worthy AND walking around friendly. It doesn't sound like it would be too hard, does it?


No comments:

Post a Comment