Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Sunset Over Florence

We'll have to go back to recount our visit to Florence. We didn't post much because we were too busy enjoying it. We absolutely fell in LOVE with Firenze. Everything about it. Except maybe the garbage collection schedule, but that's a whole post in and of itself complete with video.

I sit writing right now from our apartment in Paris. We arrived this afternoon after an incredibly brief visit to Pisa where we took the obligitory photos and headed to the airport. It is absolutely pouring down rain in Paris, so instead of heading out for a night time stroll to learn the ins and outs of our neighborhood I'm sitting at the kitchen table writing. Wait a minute....

I'm writing. In Paris.

Breath.....breath.....breath.....

Which brings me back to Florence (bear with me). 

Here is a video of our last night in Florence as we watched the sun set from Piazzale Michelangelo.  As a want-to-be photographer, this was a dream come true for me.



We made the pilgramage up to the Piazzale to watch this amazing site and quickly found a place that sold beer and prosseco making both of us very happy. I planted myself in a great spot and Dan took the opportunity to walk around and people watch. There were probably 120 people or so doing exactly what we were. We began chatting to the folks next to us and wouldn't you know it, they were from South San Francisco. It was a romantic, stunning way to spend our last evening in this jewel of a city. My heart was fluttering.

Earlier this same day, I found an art supply store that I had heard about and as soon as we walked in Dan said, "I'll go get some more money." He's a smart man, that one. I spent the next 15 mintues or so barely able to breath. I could feel the creative spirits so thick and alive in there. It was all I could do to not buy everything I saw. I restrained myself quite admirably and only ended up with a couple of paint brushes, a pad of paper made in Florence (the city is quite famous for their paper making), and some pastels and watercolor pencils. My heart was fluttering.

Fast forward again to sunset. Once the sun had set, we made our way down the hill on foot. Instead of going down the typical path taken by most, we happened along this little entrance to a rose garden that was leading down the same hill. What a wonderful way to make the journey.

Once down the hill, we walked along a street that parallelled the Arno and found a couple of trendy bars that were serving appertivos (free food during their "happy hour"). One of them was one we actually had on our list of places to go so were were thrilled to find it so easily. I can't say much for the cocktails, but the food in the second place was wonderful. I moved to ordering prosecco. You can't go wrong there.

We then made our way across the city and back to our apartment. We stopped for a while in front of the Duomo to take in the beauty one last time. A couple from Canada on their honeymoon had just arrived in Florence and we talked to them for quite a while giving them marriage and traveling advice. They had just been in Paris and so they gave us a tip on the best place for crepes. Meeting people from around the world has been one of the highlights of our trip.

And while many people would see our first night in Paris with the rain as a disappointment, I am basking in the opportunity to reflect and write in a city where so many amazing writers, philosophers, and artists have done just the same.

My heart is fluttering....again.


No comments:

Post a Comment